Monday, April 18, 2011

Week 1 Wrapup

It's been almost a full week since this couponing adventure began. I'm going to share just a few of my favorite deals with you from this week, and show you how I've started organizing my stockpile.
Total spent between 4/14 and 4/17: $126
Total saved between 4/14 and 4/17: $118 (48.3%)
The spoils of the GM cereal special
My favorite deal of the week: General Mills cereal. My husband eats cereal every day for breakfast. He generally likes Kellogg cereals more, but when I told him I could get General Mills cereals for just over $1/box he was on board with stocking up on those. King Soopers is running a great deal this week, if you buy 4 boxes of select General Mills cereals (some of which are on sale for $2.79/box) you can get a $5 gift card back to use on your next purchase. When I stacked that sale with several coupons I had for GM cereals, the cereal ended up costing me about  $1/box.
The old shelving unit



I had to pick up a new shelving unit this week since my goal is to start stockpiling foods/products we use a lot when there's an awesome deal on them. Our apartment doesn't have a pantry built in, so we were storing our food on this old bathroom storage thing in the laundry room. I don't have a "before" picture, but needless to say, it wasn't very pretty. I'm going to keep this in our laundry room for the time being (since that's about the only room left in our apartment!) but it will now be used for storing household and personal items.
I got the new shelving unit from Walmart, I believe it was about $14. I think it will work perfectly for the amount of stuff I'm hoping to stockpile, and will transition easily into a garage or basement when we buy a house. Some of the shelves look pretty sparse right now, but hopefully they'll be filling up in the next few months.
The new shelving unit
Another great deal this week at King Soopers was on cleaning products. They are doing a Spring Cleaning Mega Event, buy 4 selected cleaning products and save $4 instantly off your order. This was my first foray into couponing, so I was hesitant and nervous going into this order. I spent a lot of time planning and double checking every coupon before I went to the store. We ended up getting 12 bottles of cleaning stuff, everything from PineSol to Febreeze. This will probably be enough to keep us stocked for 2 or more years. We also bought a tub of ice cream (on sale and I had a coupon). The total for this shopping trip? $23.59. Total coupon and sale price savings? $37.51. We saved an amazing 63% on the first shopping trip using coupons.
Our amazing cleaning products deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment